On Monday 7 November 2022, Gault&Millau unveiled the twentieth edition of its guide! This is the result of the work of anonymous inspectors who sampled some of the finest dining establishments in our country and compiled them in this book…
Some establishments in the Charleroi Metropolitan Area are making an appearance for the first time, and other renowned addresses seem to be becoming regular fixtures! Would you like to (re)discover these local hotspots? We have put together this shortlist to get your taste buds tingling… The hardest part will be choosing!
Our pick from the “Restaurants” section
Some well-known establishments in the Metropolitan Area have been regular fixtures in this recognised guide for several years now: Chermanne (a well-known Charleroi address which has been awarded a 14.5/20), Villa Giulia (with a setting and menu that are equally dazzling in Fleurus), La Petite Gayole (and its authentic brasserie dishes in the heart of the beautiful Thudinie), Au Gré du Vent (a fine dining address scoring a very respectable 16/20 in Seneffe), as well as Les Lettres Gourmandes in Erquelinnes and Nulle part Ailleurs in Couvin. These are sure fire hits (among others that you will discover here) whose work is rightly praised by the guide’s authors.
This year, no fewer than 5 restaurants from the Charleroi Metropolitan Area have entered the fray!
• l’APtit: a charming establishment nestled in the heart of the “big city” of Charleroi, run by a brother and sister duo, both passionate about fine dining!
• Vilain: a new place to try out, on the outskirts of the city, dedicated to gastronomy, an ode to freedom, intuitive and uninhibited cooking…
• Vin saveurs: located in Nalinnes, the chef of this establishment offers you French-inspired gastronomic cooking coupled with oodles of technical skill and creativity.
• Tanka: in Anderlues, this lounge restaurant with a unique and exceptional setting, housed in a former nightclub, offers a menu halfway between Italy and Japan.
• Contre Façon: after LO’rignal, Loïc Pierard and his wife, now living in a beautiful rustic house, have opened this establishment which offers a traditional recipe and a second “rogue” version for each dish.
Our pick from the “POP casual dining” section
The “POP Casual Dining” publication has existed for five years and is a compilation of the best ‘casual dining’ addresses. Two establishments from the Metropolitan Area have been featured for the first time, and one of them has even been awarded the prestigious POP Award 2023!
- Socio-Pâtes: top of our list and in the centre of Charleroi, the Gault&Millau guide made no mistake in awarding it the POP Award 2023! Fitting recognition for this address that is truly worth visiting if you haven’t already done so…
- Meatballs: meatballs for all tastes, a variety of sauces and side dishes… a simple but successful inherently Carolo concept, also recognised in this POP category!
- Huggy’s Bar: after their success at Place de la Digue, it’s the turn of its little sister in Gerpinnes to feature in the guide.
Are there any of the addresses here that you haven’t yet tried out? Now is the time!